Thursday, March 4, 2010

An Easy Healthful Lunch

Let me introduce you to my DD's favorite lunch -- Cheesesteak open faced sandwiches, minus the steak. SO yummy and so good for you.

Chop up peppers, onions and mushrooms (I prefer portabella) and put them in a pan with garlic and a tiny bit of butter. I also will add just a little seasoning salt or plain salt.



Cook until mostly soft (a little crunch in the peppers isn't a bad thing). Add cheese (this is one case I allowed a bit of leeway in the "healthful" category -- I just don't like how cheddar or other hard cheeses melt, so I use American. NOTE: I do NOT use "processed American cheese food" like those icky wrapped slices you can get ... they are NOT cheese. I use American cheese from the deli, which is a least a *little* more like cheese and can even call itself "cheese" and not "cheese food"):



Turn off the heat and cover:



After about a minute, it's melted nicely:



Prepare your bread (we used homemade sourdough):



Cover with your mix of veggies and cheese:



And EAT!

DD asked for this three days in a row, lol... it's that yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment